POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : namespace issue : Re: namespace issue Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: namespace issue
From: Rune
Date: 27 May 2002 09:28:33
Message: <3cf23481@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Well, "C" is a parse time constant so it will of course
> as one would expect be substituted for its value

But as mentioned before that's extremely inconvenient, as it means that
you have to chose your function parameters with care so that they don't
interfere with variables that are already used.

> The is exactly the same way as it works for every
> other scene (time) object.
> Remember that functions are *not* macros but just
> another 'object' type!

But other scene objects don't have user-defined parameters. If I have
understood correctly, the parameters in macros are local to the macros,
so they don't interfere with parameters of the same names outside of the
macro definition. This makes it simple to choose parameter names in
macros, because any names can be chosen. Design-wise I don't see what
prevents function parameters to work the same way as macro parameters.
It sure would be much more convenient. But if it's an internal
limitation, then of course there's nothing to do about it.

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk